All text copyright Stephen Coates 2006 - 2015

IT WAS A WONDERFUL LIFE

I was very sorry to hear of the death of Mark from Sparklehorse. A gentle giant and a modest man. In London a few years back, he seemed a fish out of water - a rural creature blinking awkwardly in the light. I loved the little world he managed to create from words and pictures and funny sounds.

Some of his songs with their references to frogs and owls and myrtle felt like a magical pagan americana.

Here is a Song for Mark - originally meant for someone else - but, under the circumstances, this time for him.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I was extrememly saddened to hear about his passing as well. I saw him perform a few years back and he totally captivated me with his gentle presence. Rest in Peace, Mr. Linkous.

Rain said...

My condolences to the close friends and relatives and may we hope that he has found his peace finally.

Daria said...

Too many lately if you ask me.
Sometimes it's such a fine thread that we are trying to hold on to...

Sally said...

So very sad.

A reminder to show everyone they are loved and appreciated.

Love to Mark, wherever he is - and to his family and friends.

paulo said...

I was pretty saddened also. Not many of my favourite musicians have passed away (as far as I can recall, only St Thomas and, er, Scatman John), so was quite stunned about Mark's death. He's done some absolutely lovely music.

Like the song anyhow.

clerkenwell kid said...

Yes - and it seemed things were just happening for him again. Apparently he was very affected by Vic Chesnutt's death

paulo said...

Yeah, I knew they were friends and so kind of thought that it must have had some impact. I think there will likely still be another Sparklehorse album, seeing as he was working on one, but it is still quite sad to know that there won't ever be any more songs after that.