All text copyright Stephen Coates 2006 - 2015

BEAUTY PRIZE

I was digging around in a trunk in the attic the other day, looking for something or other and I pulled out this. It was labelled 'rough mix' but I had a listen and  thought I would post it because if I don't it will get forgotten again.

I can't even remember why we didn't use it in the end.  It is an odd process putting together an album - even these days when albums aren't the way a lot of us listen to music anymore.  You go through all these tracks and versions,  remixing and re-editing, putting this next to that , choosing that one and leaving others behind. 

But his was one of the Tallulah songs from "The Last Werewolf" and as Glen Duncan's sequel "Tallulah Rising"  is now out, it seemed a nice one to dust down again.

It is definately a woman's song - here with Pinkie Maclure on wonderful form and a lovely string arrangement courtesy of Marcella Puppini.
And so of course, I couldn't think of a better person to illustrate it than Louise Brooks.
Take a deep breath, lie back and..


11 comments:

STCP said...

Love love LOVE

Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous. This is the kind of song I love - slow and velvety, like honey, but with a touch of cigarette smoke and dry city air. This is a song for Saturday nights. Beautiful.

clerkenwell kid said...

Thankyou Kari. Yeah makes you wants to smoke again

Unknown said...

Lovely - I always did have a thing for strings...

Daria said...

Yikes!
NICE.
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof!
Or at least me in a black slip and doc martins in Oakland...

clerkenwell kid said...

Red or Black?

Unknown said...

heartwrenchingly beautiful

bARE-eYED sUN said...

lovely, i've serched for this tune, alas i've given up. but, i have this video to go back to.

thank you so much.

..
.ero
.

clerkenwell kid said...

You are always welcome

Empress Cixi said...

I love that track ! that is one of my favourite
God, what a voice !

the pearl fisher said...

Really, really, beautiful stuff...