All text copyright Stephen Coates 2006 - 2015

MURDER BALLAD

Who killed Cock Robin?

I, said the Sparrow,
with my bow and arrow,
I killed Cock Robin.

Who saw him die?
I, said the Fly,
with my little eye,
I saw him die.


Who caught his blood?
I, said the Fish,
with my little dish,
I caught his blood.

Who'll make the shroud?
I, said the Beetle,
with my thread and needle,
I'll make the shroud.

Who'll dig his grave?
I, said the Owl,
with my pick and shovel,
I'll dig his grave.

Who'll be the parson?
I, said the Rook,
with my little book,
I'll be the parson.

Who'll be the clerk?
I, said the Lark,
if it's not in the dark,
I'll be the clerk.

Who'll carry the link?
I, said the Linnet,
I'll fetch it in a minute,
I'll carry the link.

Who'll be chief mourner?
I, said the Dove,
I mourn for my love,
I'll be chief mourner.

Who'll carry the coffin?
I, said the Kite,
if it's not through the night,
I'll carry the coffin.

Who'll bear the pall?
We, said the Wren,
both the cock and the hen,
We'll bear the pall.

Who'll sing a psalm?
I, said the Thrush,
as she sat on a bush,
I'll sing a psalm.

Who'll toll the bell?
I said the bull,
because I can pull,
I'll toll the bell.

.

All the birds of the air
fell a-sighing and a-sobbing,
when they heard the bell toll
for poor Cock Robin

TRADITIONAL

6 comments:

Darren Allen said...

Dear Mr Kid,

I was at the Union Chapel free concert. It was literally wonderful. I have no idea why the church wasn't packed to the rafters, or how TRTW is not a household name. It is entirely baffling. Your songs are timeless; meaning of the rarest one percent of the rarest one percent... those that comes direct, from source. They will last - I know because I am a connoisseur of the timeless. Perhaps hubris to gain pleasure from art that lasts, but they will last - you have contributed to the river, and my boat lifts grateful sails. Please pass my thanks onto God - and tell Her I speak for others.

All good things,

Unknown said...

That definitely brought a delicious (and welcome) chill to an otherwise sweltering South-Southwestern Ontario evening!

ArtSparker said...

Lovely sinister interlude.

Daria said...

How appropriate a tune and poem for the ending of my first week as an animal control officer!
(I'm sure that you posted it just for me)
Thank you Kid.
xo

clerkenwell kid said...

Thanks - Darren. Sail on!

I haven't spoken with God in a while but if we ever make up, for sure.

clerkenwell kid said...

Daria

I rest easier knowing the welfare of our animal friends is with you.