All text copyright Stephen Coates 2006 - 2015

A DREAM AT THE END OF THE YEAR

What's in a number? Not much it seems. I hear the word 'trillion' almost every day now and as this decade draws to a close there seems doesn't seem to be much fuss being made about it at all. Perhaps that's because the last time - the millennium - seemed such a grand numerical event. Even though another day is just another day, it did feel then as though passing from December 31st 1999 into January 1st 2000 was a big deal. I seem to remember I was high that evening - sitting with friends somewhere up on a hillside above the San Francisco rooftops, watching fireworks explode into gigantic red hearts over the bay. On reflection, they may have just been inside my head.

Almost ten years later, sitting here looking out over the London rooftops, I'm thinking that on a personal level, the noughties were rather a momentus decade. Ten years of The Real Tuesday Weld for a start (the first ten years if they let me). As I am sure for most people, there were personal tragedies, deaths, births, lost and found loves, revelations, travel, unexpected meetings, a lot of surprises, adventures and new friends. I miss my father, I find myself generally feeling slightly stunned but perhaps more than anything, as ever, I feel very fortunate. I'm blessed with amazing family and friends. Thanks so much to all who have supported us and to all the people we work and play music with.

After 'I Lucifer' I thought: "I'll write about Love because there's not much worth saying about anything else". After 'The Return of the Clerkenwell Kid' I thought: 'I'll write about death because there's not much left to say about Love'. After 'The London Book of the Dead', I thought: 'I'll just say nothing for a while' and so, for the last year couple of years, as well as the touring and all that I've really been making instrumental music for films, producing other people and writing songs for others to sing.

As ever at this time, we make our little audio christmas card to send out. It's expanded in content over the years and now become quite something in itself - a proper greetings card by Catherine that you can send to a loved one and an entire mini album of new music. Some of this is from recent projects and collaborations and there is a sneak preview of what is next. I'm very pleased that it features our friends The Puppini Sisters, Louis Franck and Joe Coles.

If you like you can get it from this place

For you, there is also a little something else. Enjoy, and I hope that this decade has been just the forerunner, the entree, the opening act for all the wonders that are to come.

With very best wishes

21 comments:

Rain said...

What a wonderful way to have passed the millennium no so many years ago with. As I was still young (8) back then, I can only remember so much of it.

I ordered the Holiday Seasons card as soon as I saw it in the shop. The previews of the songs were just breathtaking.

(As addition to my original comment which I somehow deleted): Very lovely tune you posted there as well, your songs always really fit the title.

Jonathan said...

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukkah and a fantastic New Year to Stephen and all the Real Tuesday Welders.

I'm looking forward to what '10 has in store

Unknown said...

Seasons Dreamings to you too, Mr. Coates. It sure has been one hell of a decade for me, as well.

I always get kind of sad around this time of year...I expect this haunting feeling to last til January. Ah, well, I'll enjoy it while it lasts...see where it takes me.

clerkenwell kid said...

likewise guys

Sally said...

Wow, 10 years already??

Happy holidays everyone - here's hoping that 2010 brings all that you wish for.

x

PS Love the card and songs.

Sally said...

PPS - A Dream at the End of Year sounds exactly like a dream at the end of the year!

PPPS - Everything TCK and TRTW and co. produce is re-assuringly (in this same old same old world) avant garde - love it, thank you! Here's to as many more decades of your work as possible!!!!

Rain said...

Wow, you changed the song? Kicking the bucket had a nice tune but I can not do more than agree with Sally here: A Dream at the End of the Year sounds as much as a dream at the end of year as a piece of music would be able to.

clerkenwell kid said...

Hey Sally - thanks for that. But Avant Garde? I thought that was a pop tune... Hmm now I'm starting to realise why we never grace the charts.

I did post Kickin' the Bucket - by accident. Maybe I'll repost in the New Year to try help clear the post -festive blues

Sally said...

Heehee - yes, avant garde. But that's part of the attraction of your work. New and refreshing and interesting and always extremely well executed. Although some of your work is more classical - and in that vein of particularly great quality, eg 'Intro' and 'Valediction' - that and the whole TCK image on the TCK Myspace page really drew me in; there's something very cool, sophisticated and a little film noir about that - and no competitor. Pure quality. Some avant garde productions do make it very big though, don't they, eg, The Cure? Perhaps this niche is what makes your work so special. Also, you seem exceptionally skilled in descriptive, incidental scores.

Sally said...

Avant garde pop acts - according to last.fm, anyway.

clerkenwell kid said...

Right Sally, I always thought we were actually part of the "arrière-garde"but I am going to take that as a compliment - and give it to my publicist too.. thankyou

Sally said...

I notice that your work is classed as "Alternative" by my Ipod - except for Cloud Cuckooland, which it classes as "Alternative Rock" - LOL!

Andrew Carey said...

I think it was Robinson in Space that made me wonder if you'd like www.mythogeography.com

I hope you don't mind the intrusion.

paulo said...

ooh, I hope you repost the Kicking The Bucket song as I missed it. I received the Christmas ep today, and so am giving it a listen now. Have also downloaded the mp3 of the nearly-same name as the ep, and shall listen to that after.

I've only known/followed you for half of the 10 years (from Ugly Beautiful) but have seen you play 12 times since then- starting with the Whitechapel gig shortly afterwards. I miss the tacky flashy lights/badges!

and yes, let's hope for another 10 years or more please!

clerkenwell kid said...

I remember that show and your stories. it was the first time Don played with us - and very hot. Er, the temperature that is -not Don.

I think the lights got lost somewhere in the US on tour - also, when you knew the punchline..

Rain said...

Just received your card. Just a big thank you for signing it and the brilliant collaborations that are in the petite disc included. I do hope you pay the Netherlands a visit on your next tour outing. Although I'm probably visiting London soon enough again (We could be seen as neighbours of countries, I guess) it would be nice to see a show of yours on common ground here someday.

Unknown said...

Oh, I'd say that Don is pretty hot. ;)

Lexi said...

Mr. Coates,

I have only known of your music for about a year and you and TRTW constantly amaze me. I fall more and more in love with your music with each listen. I wish you all happy holidays and a bright new year. Speakig of... any plans to play in the U.S. in 2010?

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas, I hope you have a lovely holiday and I look forward to another year of your music. x

clerkenwell kid said...

likewise - and thankyou

Unknown said...

hi mr coates, great to see some new tunes! big fan :D